Tuesday, September 20, 2011
• My kitchen: been canning a lot lately using the water bath method. It's our first time and we are loving it!
• Ollie and I went out on the Schooner Olad with Captain Aaron the other night for the sunset cruise. We had a great time. Ever the professional, Captain Aaron spent most of the cruise racing the Schooner Appledore. We literally sailed a circle around them... *loved it*
• Saw a great post over at crazy mom quilts and was inspired beyond words. Can't wait for the instructions to be available! (Was also inspired to repaint my studio).
• Ollie and I are going on vacation here at the end of the month (Phiona we're coming to see you, girl!)... anyone from that area (Cindy) have any great recommendations for what we should do? I'm all ears!
• Here's a great link from the Ink and Spindle girls explaining the pricing formula used by many shops and why it's important for shop owners to use it. A must for anyone who's ever wondered why certain prices at certain places are so high. (Guess I am personally affected by this, therefore found it fascinating... thanks, ladies!). I'm not out to make anybody feel guilty for buying less-expensively priced fabrics, but it is important to understand the price differential.
• And speaking of such things... here's a link to the newest Echino collection, which should be arriving in a few weeks. We've ordered the entire line, plus 4 bolts as laminated cottons. Can you guess which 4 we ordered as laminates? But seriously, folks... very excited about the newest Echinos. I'm a sucker for anything with birds on it. And anything Echino for that matter.
• Have you seen the new fabrics section of our shop lately? I was surprised when I sat down to take a look. I've been out of the shop for 24 hours exactly and there was a LOT of good stuff that arrived yesterday, including the Anna Maria Horner Needleworks fabrics. But I think my favorite is this one from Moda. What is Nankeen Buff, anyways?
• Brooke is opening up her Etsy shop again soon... Can't wait to see what she makes with some of our fabrics and some of her stash!
• Ollie and I watched Sucker Punch the other night. I was surprised it was only rated PG-13 but upon a second viewing I see the potholes that lead to an "R" rating were carefully avoided. Confession: I liked it. Guess I don't mind violence if it's completely over the top and stylized (see also: "Desperado," "300," "Sin City" and "Shoot 'Em Up"). Not saying I would want to watch this with my little sister, but I liked it a lot.
Alright, off to buy some carrots from Brady to make Amanda's Carrot Tomato Soup and see what other kinds of trouble I can get into on my day off.
See you all again soon!
Posted by Rhea Butler at 6:08 AM