Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pre-Thanksgiving Shakedown

Hello.

Yes, it has been a week.

I won't bore you with the usual (Blah, blah, blah... I was sooo busy...blah, blah, blah)

But here is a quick recap of what I have been up to:

• Did the ol' 9:00-7:00 shift at the store yesterday. A shift of my own shifting. One of my Dad's friends owns a local business. When he found out Mom and I were buying Alewives he said (and I quote) "Working for yourself is great. You get to choose your own hours. You can work the first half of the day or the second half of the day." Truer words were never spoken.

• Stayed up until the wee hours during my time off to finish a quilt/wallhanging for my kitchen. I put the movie "Sense and Sensiblity" on the computer and went to town, if I do say so myself. I had the "Sex and the City" movie with me as a back-up, which would have made for an oddly appropriate double-feature, I think, but this was sadly unnecessary. (By the by, I made the quilt completely out of the fabrics from this post and I will take pictures soon.)

• Had a girl's night out that began literally Saturday at 5:00 (when I got out of work) and lasted until 12:00 noon the next day (when I had to go to work again).

During these 19 hours we:

A) Drove to Portland (with many bottles of wine in tow).

B) Stayed at a borrowed condo on the waterfront in Portland (which everyone should have, if they possibly can).

C) Ate at the Hibachi Grill (where they toss food into your mouth and I discovered I was pretty good at this game as I was able to provide a very large target).

D) Went to see "New Moon" (which was deliciously cheezy and filled with shirtless men and other moments of cinematic brilliance... in other words the perfect "Girl's Night" movie).

E) Decided we were going to start a blog called "HowToDefineOneselfOutsideOfParenting." (That would probably get a lot of hate-comments, but is a brilliant idea, none-the-less).

***Disclaimer: that is a huge joke: we LOVE parenting blogs!***


and finally

F) Had breakfast at a French Cafe (Tea and Chocolate Croissants!).


• Now with my first day off in a series of 3 (!) I am waiting to watch NieNie on the today show and getting ready for my very first Thanksgiving with the Fam at my place. Wish me luck with the turkey. The man at the Post Office (who is always full of good advice) says I should brine the turkey but my hip new neighbor says brining is "sooo last year."

Any advice???

Besides Chinese Food???

There... now that you know what I have been up to, what have YOU been up to???

See you again soon (I hope!).

XO,

Rhea

4 comments:

May said...

Dry Brining, i.e. rubbing the Turkey with kosher salt or sea salt, is the thing this year. There was a how-to in the LA Times.

Your,
Girl's Night Comrade

Tina @ Squirrel Acorns said...

I like to brine my turkey, but I don't think it's necessary. Depends on the turkey too. We're getting free range bird this year, and you don't really need to brine it. Just make sure you stir the salt/sugar into solution, LOL! My friend brined the turkey one year (we were deep-frying it), and neglected to do this step because she had never brined before. Doesn't quite work.

Anonymous said...

Haven't ever brined a turkey, but one year Donovan and I infused it with citrus. We saw it on the news and it was very yummy, though somewhat time consuming. Usually I go for the straightforward approach of cooking it by the book and brushing it with butter every hour so it doesn't dry out. I also like to cook the stuffing inside, but I cover it with tinfoil first so as not to have to worry so much about all the things about people getting sick from stuffing cooked inside turkey. And that is my four cents for today.
~Barbara

jessica's ned said...

my family is big, B-I-G on deep frying their turkeys. they do it even when it's not thanksgiving, and the fun thing is you could do it at camp or on the back of your truck or in a barn... i think that's why they like it. the turkey's pretty delicious too..