Friday, April 24, 2009

Nothing to do with Anything

This post has absolutely no relevance to the store or to sewing whatsoever...

Just a warning...

About three years ago I was still in design school and our teacher had arranged for an alumnus of the school (who had since become uber-successful) to come in and talk to us about what it meant to be a designer in the "Real World."

I was kind of jazzed to see this guy and had prepared a whole slew of questions to ask him: Practical, hard hitting, important questions that I would be oh-so glad I had asked when my time in the "Real World" came.

At 1 o'clock-ish, in walks this absolutely gorgeous, dressed-to-the-nines, tall and statuesque Lenny Kravitz clone. I mean this man was ridiculously cool looking. I may have been from Maine (the land of meat-and-potatoes-men) and you may think that I was easily impressed by well-dressed, exotic-looking design school alumnii, but please remember that I did live in France for a year and the bar for exotic looking men was set pretty high. Take my word for it, this man was a work of art.

My teacher walked over to this fine hunk of delicious and clapped him on the back, shook his hand and introduced him to the class as a Butera School of Art alumnus.

The ex-student spent the next half-hour telling us about life in the "Real World" and all of the important lessons he had learned. He was giving us real nuggets of wisdom, too: meaty, gritty, substantial stuff. Years of his trials and tribulations were condensed for our benefit.

Then his speech began to wind down...

"Don't make the same mistakes I did," he said, " learn from me, listen to me, ask me anything you want to know and I will tell you..."

Immediately I shot my hand into the air.

"Yes?" he asked.

I took a deep breath and asked the question I had been dying to ask him ever since he walked into the room.



"Are those Gucci sunglasses?"


Silence in the room. Maybe a cricket was chirping in the corner as everyone turned to stare at me.

"Ahhhh, yeah..." Lenny replied, "any other questions?"


More silence in the room.

I looked around...

No one was asking anything.

Nobody was grasping this opportunity.

My hand shot up in the air again.

"Yes?" he asked, hopeful.



"Can I try them on?"





Years later and I still remember.



Are they not the coolest thangs ever?

(In case you're wondering, he did let me try them on... good sport, that guy.)



And yes, tonight I am all hopped-up on cold medicine.

See you again soon, sweeties!

XO,

Rhea

No comments: