Friday, November 23, 2007

I coulda been a contender...

Aaahhh...

I am nothing if not a champion eater, and yesterday, I tell you, I was a true contender. My Dad has the BEST food at his house for Holidays:

Turkey, of course, but not just any Turkey. This bird is stuffed, then outfitted with a little rope "jumpsuit," hung in the fireplace of a bee-hive oven (made with re-claimed colonial bricks) and seared to perfection. But, because the Turkey is dangling in it's little rope jumpsuit over an open flame, you have to "spin" it. One of the best things about T-Giving at Dad's is sitting with a glass of wine in front of the fireplace and "spinning" the Turkey. Occasionally a little piece of stuffing might fall into the pan that's waiting directly below to catch the drippings, and of course, it is the job of the spinner to eat said stuffing. Very important work, and I take it very seriously.

Whipped potatoes, squash from their own garden, green beans with lemon dill butter and shallots, candied yams (conspicuously absent this year), stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce (which is surprisingly easy to make), ambrosia salad (a nod to the 50's Thanksgivings that my Step-Grandmother used to put on), rolls and gravy. Yum. Just writing about it I'm ready to do the whole thing over again. I didn't eat at ALL yesterday in anticipation of the magic moment of 4 o'clock where we dug in.

And of course, there were the pies. 2 apple, 1 pumpkin and 1 pecan. And my little, 6 year old brother Jonah said, when I asked him what type of pie he was going to have, "Apple, Pecan, Pumpkin and Apple." Very cute. I keep telling Dad and my Stepmother Sheryl to get that kid an agent and he could pay his own way through college. He's got spunk in spades.

Anyways, the day was just great. Great company (just me, my Dad, Sheryl, and my brothers Israel, Elias and littel Jonah), great food and lots to be thankful for. Afterwards we all watched Spiderman 3 together. And I mean, really, what Thanksgiving would be complete without your friendly neighborhood Spiderman?

Anyhoo, I am thankful for my readers and hope YOU had a wonderful Thanksgiving wherever you were!!!

Now I'm at the shop RHEA-arranging, so for those of you who are local, good luck trying to find stuff the next time you come in!!!

XOXO

Rhea

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's just because I was finally able to find what I wanted again, wasn't it?