Monday, May 21, 2007

Alewives Day and Mini Totes

Happy Monday guys...

















Even though there is sooo much construction going on in Damariscotta and I can't even cross the street to get to Reny's to see if they have geraniums for my sweet little grandmother, I'm still happy. Why? Because the sun is finally out, we had a great Alewives Day at the store and I have a brand new mini tote that I made at this weekend's workshop.

First things first: Alewives Day was a huge success and I had such a good time. And the best part is that you guys are the ones who made it successful... all the kids (and adults!!!) who had their faces painted (That's me painting Jennifer Genthner's face in the photo) and all those who came to see the DVD and bought merchandise to support the Alewives, you all did your part and had fun (I hope) in the meantime. So, thanks very much for coming out and it was great to see familiar faces and meet new ones and let's do it all again next year!!! A special thank you to Dr. Friedland (who donated procceds from the sale of framed and matted photographs and greeting cards of the Alewives), John Kennedy (who donated proceeds from the sale of his oil painting prints) and Jayne Dwyer (who designed exclusive Alewife pins just for little old us AND donated proceeds of the sale of her Paper Moon jewelry to the Alewives). I think it was most definitely a success (even though it was cold and rainy and I don't think there was an Alewife to be seen anywhere- except in our gallery!)

And second things second, I had sooo much fun taking (not teaching) a class yesterday!!! It's nice to be on the other end of things and now I know why everyone likes classes so much!!! We had a great workshop taught by guest teacher and real-estate agent extraordinaire Debby Schling, who taught us how to put a wicked snazzy lining into those Classic Mini Totes you get at Reny's. It was the perfect 2.5 hour project (which seemed, for some reason, to shock Debby when the timing worked out so perfectly) and everyone went home with a finished project. Even Mom, who had a sewing machine malfunction and had to "abandon ship" half way through the workshop and use Johanna's "Sewing Pretty with Hello Kitty" machine (which, for the record, is a really good machine) finished her tote. We taught Donna some "Maine" vernacular when Rina described her bag as "some cunnin'" (Donna is from Michigan and had no idea that "some cunnin'" meant "really cute," but she knows now!!!) and I learned how to use a seam-gauge ruler. It's a $1.59 tool that I had no clue how to use, but now that Debby showed me a practical use for it I'm sure I'll never be without one again. Debby was a great teacher and she put a new spin on sewing for me because she's self taught and looks at sewing very differently than I would ever be clever enough to do. She's wicked smaht!!! I am positive this workshop is going to be a keeper and I already want to make more: one $2.99 tote to match each pair of $2.50 Old Navy flip flops!!! Between the shoes and the totes and my $4.00 skirts from Target (which I have in a rainbow array of colors) I am all set for the summer!!! BRING IT ON!!!



Talk to you all again soon!!!

Rhea

PS... I cananot WAIT to watch the Sox v. The Yankees tonight!!! GO SOX!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Rhea,
My mom just showed me your blog. Why isn't her bag featured in the picture???

Can't wait to see you this summer!
-Claire